Saturday, March 6, 2010

Fido: Tastes like Chicken

 Before you get your panties in a twist:
World wide eating dog meat has only recently become a social taboo.
Blockade mutton was not outlawed until the 1980's in Europe.
I suspect our Grand and Great Grand parents where less squeamish with their diets.  
Animal rights is also a term coined in the last few decades. We're civilized now !!

It's personal taste and upbringing.

If you had a pet porker running around your house, sleeping on your bed, laying at your feet, then you'd probably be inclined to eat something other than pork.
The pig has more intelligence than a dog, yet most people have no problem eating pork.

Even though the practice was outlawed some years ago, certain parts of Isaan, especially Sakon Nakhon Province have a reputation of eating dogs.  It's still prevalent, just more discrete.


Haven't eaten it myself and have no inclination.  If it tastes like chicken, I had better stay away.  I'm severely allergic to chicken (shingles).

Someone showed me their purchase for the evening meal.  Raw meat in a bag.  That's as close as I've come to the meat.  Even though invited, I did not attend that diner party..

A friend of mine was invited to an evening of drinking and dining in a rice field. He really enjoyed himself :  Out in nature, under the stars,booze, pleasant people, really great food. When he staggered  home they told him what had been on the menu: Dog!

Someone else recently had some.  Said   ...tastes like chicken...  read it hereYummy dog

Saw this guy catching sparrows.  He had about six or seven.  Spent an hour plucking.
Let me tell you there ain't much body after plucking and cleaning.  Evening stew for a family of four.

Was offered to eat snake at a restaurant one time.  They wanted me to pay for the entire snake.
I have never eaten snake.

I've eaten buffalo, caribou, bear, goat, deer, boar. Most of it in Alaska.

Tasted my first cockroach in 1963.  Compliments of a German Hot Dog vendor.
Ate half the hot dog and noticed part of a cockroach in the uneaten portion.  That bug was huge. 
Tickled my tonsils with my index finger behind a tree.

Don't care for the fried bugs either.
They are available during the dry season around here.
Instant bad breath.


I'm not sure, but I have probably eaten horse meat. Think down south U.S.A.,they were called 5¢ent burgers.
During my army days "shit on a shingle" (chipped beef) was always subject to rumors of origin.

I look at garden slugs, the slime trail in disgust.  I just can't picture them on my diner plate, but some people love 'em.  They give 'em a fancy name "escargot"

Dried Squid.  You can smell it from twenty paces.
Brought a suitcase of triple plastic wrapped dried squid through US customs, years ago.
 
My Thai friends in the US had made a special request.  

That customs dog was all over the suitcase like flies on ..it. 
I started to panic.
The dog handler calmed me down; she could tell by the dogs irrational behavior...
...Processed food ... proceed."

Rabbit  was a regular diet during my childhood in Germany.  
Living up to their reputation, they multiplied like... (oh take a guess).
The biggest one was kept for the Easter feast.  
I stayed out of the way when it came to slaughtering. I could do the skinning and gutting, but not the assassination.
The rabbit cage was my favorite playground, better than any sandbox.  Three dozen pets.

What sort of meat you eat is a matter of upbringing.
My favorite is t-bone, which some people consider a sin

No comments: