Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Police Story Thailand: Episode 2

.
Bangkok late 1990.
I arrived at the Bangkok airport (then Don Muang), cleared customs, exchanged a few travelers checks and was about to get my bearings, when a uniformed policeman smiled that Thai smile: "Can I help you?"

I was looking for the limousine desk to hire a car to Pattaya.
The kind uniformed policeman offered me a bit high, but agreeable price, took my bag and invited me to follow him.

Down the stairs we went to the garage level.
I had the strong sense that something was amiss. The officer reassured me everything was "kosher."

We left the airport for a short ride to what looked like a police motor pool.
I was to be transferred to a more suitable car for the trip.

The policeman suggested he receive a tip. I was flabbergasted. We agreed on a price, tip included.
I wasn't about to pay extra.  Motor pool mechanics chuckled.  They seemed to understand my reasoning.

I am now in a newer sedan with no apparent markings with the exception of a two inch POLICE decal on the windshield.


Rocket Man

I met the driver. Early twenties.

The express toll way to Pattaya was under construction.
It was the old highway with plenty of construction detours and delays.
Freight trucks en route to the southern port slowed traffic to a crawl at times.

The drive should have been close to three hours. We done it in one hour, 15 minutes.
The ride was actually quite comfortable.  The driver was very sensible in his driving.
I don't remember tensing up one bit.  Then of course, a can of beer at hand helped calm me.

At times we used the temporary construction roads, closed to general traffic.
A bit dusty, but we passed all the congestion around construction areas at top speed.

A few speed radars along the way.  The cops with the radar guns waved and smiled at the driver.
They apparently knew him or recognized the decal.  We never slowed down.

As I remember it, when we encountered an open stretch of road we exceeded the speed limit by 30 to 40 kilometers.

I did tip this driver generously.  It had been a very pleasant, safe and speedy trip.
The car needed a washing.  It looked like we had been four-wheeling through the mudflats.

No comments: