Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sonkran Encore

Thought I was excluded from this years S-B.A.C*. Songkran celebrations.
Hadn't heard from them since graduation.

Received a call this morning: 

"Can you come to the school for our celebrations.  We start at ten."  
I looked at the clock (9:10).

I showered.  Don't know why I did that, knowing I was going to come home looking like I walked through a car wash.


As I drove to the school I noticed flags along the highways.
They are an indication that someone important is about to arrive.



I arrived at the school at 9:50. Nothing much was happening. Everyone was waiting.



At 10:10 the 'Drive-by Monk' arrived. He visits the school every Tuesday as a passenger in a pick-up. The vehicle door is opened and the monk receives alms and gives his blessings through the open truck door.



This time he decided on an extended sermon lasting 40 minutes.

It was almost 11 am when the ritualistic dousing of Buddha began.



After that I sat with school elders while water was poured into our cupped hands.
I used the water collected in my hands to cool down my well wishers.

And then of course the water mayhem began. Kept my camera well away from the water fun.  I was one of the main targets.

The pictures I took as I was leaving clearly evidence that everyone and everything was thoroughly wet.
We did have to drag a few people out of the offices they were trying to hide in.


Driving home, there were cops every hundred yards or so along the highway.  And yes I was stopped to let a convoy of police cars pass.  Someone important is in town!!

* SakonNakhon Business Administration College

You think only humans celebrate... Hey come back here with that bottle of rum... burp

No comments: