Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cost of repairs "Up to you"

Power outages are quite common in Thailand, so I wasn't too concerned when the lights went out around noon.  One side of I.T.U. (road) had lights, while the other didn't.  Traffic lights at the end of the street where also off.
Power eventually returned.

By late afternoon we had another power outage.
This time however, the power failure was only at my house.  All the neighbors had electricity.

We called the local utility company.
They arrived within fifteen minutes.  I was impressed. 
There are no wire connectors.
Wires are simply stripped of the casing and twisted together, then covered with electrical tape.

The technician spent a few minutes cleaning the wires and reconnecting them.

The lights were on...
...for about ten minutes.

We called the utility company  again.

This time, after a brief inspection of the wires outside the house, it was time to look in the attic.

I had to furnish the ladder and flashlight.  I was also told if the problem is inside the house, there would  be a charge.
The problem was in the attic.  A wire splice there had been smoldering apparently for some time.

Repairs were completed within an hour.  I was impressed.
Then I asked for the bill.

The answer was: "Up to you."
Of course there's no paperwork required in such situations.  I did have to ask for my flashlight back.

I've made an appointment with my regular handyman to open the attic and do a thorough daylight inspection

No comments: