Monday, September 16, 2013

Lost in translation: Phone disconnect

To discontinue service by a person other than listed on the phone bill, 
you must present six paid receipts to prove you are the owner of the phone.
Asking for telephone installation ten years ago in Thailand, I was informed there is a six month backlog (waiting period).
I mentioned my dilemma at school. A phone call was made and by the time I arrived at home, the installers were waiting in front of my house.

The phone was not in my name, I didn't care as long as I had a phone.


Recently I decided I no longer had use for the phone.
Only the person, whose name appears on the phone bill can request disconnection.
I've lost contact with that person many years ago.

I asked to have the phone disconnected.
I received a preprinted letter thanking me for the business and indicating that the service was disconnected.

I discarded years of receipts.

Even though the line had been disabled, recently I received a bill for a number of months of unpaid service.

To discontinue service by a person other than listed on the phone bill, you must present six paid receipts to prove you are the owner of the phone.

Paying the unpaid months, I now have to pay another future bill to accumulate six receipts.
My phone will be switched from disabled to disconnected

No comments: