Canberra

Bangkok

London

New York

Los Angeles
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

Thursday, January 26, 2017

On the way to "One night in Bangkok"

On my way to boarding the plane I was greeted with a "hello mister Hans." I turned and returned the greeting. A former student of mine is part of the ground crew at the airport.  I do enjoy being recognized and recognizing acquaintances. 
There's a lot more pale faces (farang) traveling to and from Sakon Nakhon these days. Ten years ago you could have been the only foreigner on the plane. This time I counted at least half a dozen on the flight leaving and an equal amount of farang arriving.  I prefer the Boeing B737-800 over the the Q400. Smoother ride. 
The return flight on the Q400 reminded me a bit of a 'shake and bake' for the last ten minutes before landing. At lower altitude we seemed to be getting quite a bit crosswinds.  It's normal, but still makes my stomach do push ups.
In Bangkok I had to find a sunny spot occasionally to stop my shivering. Why they had air conditioners running  at full speed is a mistery to me.  The outdoor temperatures were quite pleasant.
Sakon Nakhon

No comments: