Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sakon Nakhon Dragons, Cobras and Pythons sighted


Almost missed one of my favorite Sakon Nakhon events. I was about to update my calender when I realized what day it was. Arrived at the Chinese temple where ceremonies had already begun.


First thing I spotted was a Sakon Nakhon license plate tourist police.
I didn't realize we had them here. Must be a fairly new arrival to the area.


Was a bit perplexed why they are called tourist 'HAM.'  Made me wonder if it had something to do with western name calling of police men.  Nah, I don't think so.

My brain wasn't quite up to speed yet, I was wondering why street sweepers were standing by for this parade.  I didn't see any elephants or horses

Then I realized why.

Notice all the cotton filled ears !! They came prepared !!

           
I seem to forget every year to bring ear plugs.  


The parade sounds a bit like a combat zone with small arms and artillery sounds, as whiteness in this 2008 video















The festival lasts through December 16 
with daily evening performances at the Chinese Temple (Near Golden Pond)



No comments: