Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Doing the Sakon Nakhon Pole Dance

The House lights went off at 10.  The show was about to begin.

No TV, no internet, no telephone, no hot coffee water.

Most power outages in this area happen during the rainy season.  

They are occasional occurrences in this part of the country.

Most last less than half an hour.

The skies where clear, no rain, 

but this was to be an extended five hour showing of the  


Sakon Nakhon Pole Dance


Isn't the kind of pole dance you might have in mind.
This is the kind where the utility pole does the dancing.
Electric wires, phone and cable service where knocking  against a house. A possible fire hazard.
The only fix was to move the pole a few feet.


Two guys started up the pole and disconnected all wires.
The ground crew loosened the soil around the pole and dug a new hole.
Early in the day plenty supervisors arrived at the scene





An hour and fifteen minutes later, the pole dance began.  Swaying back and forth until the pole was loose in the soil and could be lifted. 

Loosening the pole and transfering it to the new hole took 45 minutes.


Refastening wires to the pole was interrupted by a fifteen minute rain-break.


Not having fans going, I was dripping with perspiration in the early afternoon
I discovered sitting in my pool was a perfect place to continue watching 'the show.'

 

Having been a pole lineman myself, 1963 - 1964, I judged the job would be finished around mid afternoon.  
I was off by ten minutes.

This is one show I hope does not get repeated in my neighborhood

No comments: