Thursday, December 1, 2011

There goes my Neighborhood



Flood aftermath
Thailand Tourism was nearly decimated due to the recent floods with a few exceptions.
An all out effort is underway to return the industry to normal by February.
Thailand Tourism Authority wants to entice tourists with Value added tour packages rather than discounts.

Think it's the wrong way of doing things,  getting a free massage (Value added), instead of a discount on my hotel bill just doesn't entice me to travel.
If you look on the net, many travel agents are offering discounts on tour packages.
There's still plenty of negative media.  Areas where flood waters are receding are now hosting an increased mosquito population.


I'm not wishing for a return of the floods, but there was one matter I did appreciate about the floods.
For a few weeks there was hardly any mention of Thai politics in the news.  Now the mudslinging is back and seems stronger than ever.


Unseasonably cool temperatures this week.
Average night time temperatures for this time of the year is 16C (60.8F)




FriSatSunMonTuesWed
Thai Meteorological  30/1529/1630/1731/1831/2032/21....32C = 89.6F
Weather Underground25/1228/1427/1528/1829/1829/19
30C = 86   F
Accu Weather28/1329/1330/1431/1828/22 30/19
25C = 77   F
Meo Weather24/1325/1526/1627/1825/19 26/19
19C = 66.2F
Weather Channel28/1628/1529/1630/1629/16 29/16
12C = 53.6F


 My thanks to those readers who noted and wrote of their concern that I had been away from this blog a few days: "...unusual..."

The cooler than normal weather has made it's presence known in my joints and bones.  A whiplash injury of some 40 years ago decided to come out of hiding.  After a few days of above tolerable discomfort, the pain went way over the threshold  and I decided to visit the hospital last night.

I opted to go to the government hospital.  As mentioned I'd been dealing with this injury for 40 years and could  recommend the appropriate treatment:  A shot to quell the pain immediately, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants for the coming days.  I was accompanied by two Thai family members, who took care of all the administrative matters.  

Was a bit taken aback when I entered the doctors office.  At first I thought 'this must be the assistant.'  The guy didn't look older than 19.  He was the doctor alright.  I guess it's true, Asians tend to keep their youth longer.

A shot where the sun don't shine and the medicines set me back 180 Baht (US$5.83).

I'll be taking advantage of the 100 baht massages I'm offered till I recuperate.
Two or three a day should do the trick


Youth Football Sponsor
A month or so ago I attended the local youth football games.

I supported 'My team,' by buying water and sport drinks for half time.  The coach said I was their sponsor and would have my name on team jerseys next season.  He asked me for 500 baht for the printing costs.

Guess they didn't wait till next season.
Didn't expect people to be wearing my name on their bellies either.




There goes my neighborhood

Heard promises of the street leading up to my house being paved for a few years now.
Actually had given up on that some time ago.
But now there's talk of not just paving the dead end street.
The latest talk is that they are going to tear down two houses and an apartment building across the street and widening and lengthening the street.
If  there's any truth to that my residence will be on a major thoroughfare.
Next step in the discussion phase is supposedly a gathering of neighbors and planning officials.
Nothing imminent, but my brain is working overtime.  I could make 'the second house' into a....!

No comments: