Sunday, February 15, 2009

Invitation to Party

Awakened again this morning by loud Esaan music at 4 a.m. Don't these people ever sleep.
Two blocks from my house, the music was loud. I could feel the vibrations of the bass in my fence posts.
From the looks of things, the party was just getting started. A stream of headlights on the road drawn in like magnets by the music.
Somewhat reminds me of my first Sakon Nakhon Party Invitation:
I was invited to a party. Bring an envelope.
We jumped on a motorbike and headed out of town.
Now in the middle' of nothing but rice paddies we came to a stop and shut off the engine.

"Listen" she said, cupping her hand to her ear. In the distance you could hear music. We now had our driving directions.
Once closer, we halted an approaching motorcycle and to get specific instructions on how to get there.

Before we even parked I was asked to surrender the donation envelope.
And that is how you are invited to many private celebrations.


photo: Thai version of a Walkman



No comments: