Sunday, July 3, 2011

And that's Football in Thailand

I'd become somewhat of an avid Sakon FC football fan.  Have known some of the players for as long as I've been in town.  Hadn't missed a game.  Away games gave me an opportunity to travel and see other parts of Isaan.

Saturday's game at Nong Bua Lamphu didn't entice me to travel.
You could say I had a premonition.  Besides, they recently started broadcasting the games over the internet.

Joey had moved his computer on the front porch.  I was watching the game in my 'den.'
Surprisingly the video stream was perfect.  No interruptions.
Joey was logged into chat mode which delayed his feed by a minute and had a different announcer than the one I was listening to.

It was almost like instant replay.  If I wanted to see a goal again I could see it again on Joey's computer.

Nong Bua Lamphu apparently had some heavy rains before the game.  Water puddles and mud.

The plank leading onto the field resembled a diving board at a swimming pool.

Sakon Nakhon scored during the first half. Nong Bua Lamphu evened the score early in the second half.  Shortly thereafter Sakon FC had it's second goal.

As dusk settled in the stadium, lights were turned on.  From my vantage point I could only see one set of lights.  The game continued. As it got darker the game was stopped.
A thirty minute delay to fix the lights was announced.
Somehow I knew better. I started watching the boob-tube with one eye on the computer.
Referees and players bowed in front of the audience and exited the field.
Game Stopped due to insufficient lighting. Rematch to be announced!!

1 comment:

Nakhon Ratchasima FC said...

Sakon should be awarded the win IMO. This wasn't an 'act of god' like a torrential downpour.