Sunday, September 4, 2011

English lessons just got a lot easier for me


As promised I finally have a computer and overhead projector in my classroom. It helps when over half the class forgets their textbook, or probably sold it.

Use Google translate most of the time, but also use Google pictures to help the learning process.
I use the textbook only half of the time. English textbooks printed in Asia tend to need some proofreading.
Choose the word from the box below! No box or list of names appear below.
 Have also caught a number of grammatical errors.

Occasionally I get stumped between British and American English.
Take a recent lesson: A picture of a boy and girl. The boy asks "can I borrow the rubber."
Where I come from if I were to ask a store clerk where I could find "the rubber," he would not direct me to the stationary section for an eraser.

Google translate has also come in quite handy to quell class disruptions.
I typed: "Three girls in the back of the classroom are sharing some hot gossip."
Made them blush, but it did stop their private conversation.

 I've also learned quickly that I must pre-screen some searches.
Recently used Google pictures to explain "dress classy.'
The pictures that popped up resembled a Fredrick's of Hollywood catalog. I quickly deleted that page. At least I had all the boy's attention.

 

No comments: