Monday, September 29, 2014

Me and Sakon Nakhon - Live

The first 'job' I every had: story teller. I was seven then, living in an Catholic Boys home.
My nightly duty was story telling to the kids under the age of seven.
You could say my job was to talk the kids to sleep.  I was good at making up stuff.

Later in life I taught German to American troops.  They didn't care following the manual, instead they were more interested in translations such as "come here with your panties in your hand.'

Still later I spent time as an instructor at a military quartermaster school.

Then came college, after attending classes for one week I became reporter for the college paper.
I was college newspaper editor for four semesters. Somehow I lost my ability at story telling as I was trained to write about who, what, where, when, why.  Give me the facts, nothing but the facts.

During the first ten years of living in Sakon Nakhon I volunteered as Teacher.  No income, in fact the first two years I paid for the books for all my classes.  I had proper work permits and education department documents.  The benefits of my teaching years: I met many people, was invited to many public and private events. Even rubbed shoulders with some government big wigs.

Sakon Nakhon - Live began as a website in 2006.  During those early days I'd have 4 or 5 visitors per day.

I switched to bloging in January 2009 and enjoyed visits of over 407 visitors during the first month reading 1,466 pages
During the most recent 30 days Sakon Nakhon - Live has had 905 visitors doing 4,614 page views.
70% (633) of the total 905 visitors are returning visitors.
50% (315) of the repeat visitors are from within Thailand.

Sakon Nakhon - Live
Motive: the health of my brain.  Use it or Loose it!!
Purpose: Inform and entertain ex-pats, tourists and friends, in Sakon Nakhon and around the world.
Advertising:  If your business is aimed at ex-pats then do submit your information.  Thais frequenting this website is minute only peaks when it concerns local football

Gathering local information of events has been somewhat like pulling teeth from a runaway buffalo.
It's been getting slightly better in recent years, thanks to some posters on Facebook and tumblr.

No comments: